Modify stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Modify stage

Post by seanc217 »

Hi all I am trying to take an input which is defined as decimal and convert it to a string then take a substring of it.

I was trying to do this using the modify stage. I can get the substring to work, but with warnings about not converting it as such:

Implicit conversion from source type "decimal[9,0]"to result type "string"

So I was trying to convert it first and then pass it to the substring function in one specification. Is this possible? or do I need to use a transformer to do this?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What function are you using in the Modify stage specification? Data type conversion is not necessarily automatic.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Seanc,

You cannot have 2 orchestrate functions in a single specification. You probably have to use the Transformer in this case.

HTH
--Rich
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Indeed, a single Transformer stage is likely to be more efficient than two consecutive Modify stages.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
clshore
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by clshore »

If you are trying to extract some of the digits, why not use arithmetic operations instead?
Conversion from a number to a string is usually less efficient than pure arithmetic processing.

Carter