Oracle Date being returned as *'s

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

greg
Participant

Oracle Date being returned as *'s

Post by greg »

I have a condition that has a date in Oracle of Jan 1 4712, I've been told this actually is a negative number in oracle, when I use a Server Job it will pull the date out as 4712-01-01 00:00:00 but when I use a Parallel Job I get *'s returned. I want to use a Parallel Job but also need to have the date represented to what is in the table, the 4712 date. All other dates are working fine in the Parallel job.

Does anyone know what's up with this and what I can do to get it working right?
Greg
pavankvk
Participant

Post by pavankvk »

waht is ur data type in target dataset?
if its char are u using any datetostring conversion functions?

i ususally get these **** while converting date to a char field using the built in functions and if the format of the input data is not what the function expects,then it outputs a *****

so just checking if its the same case.
greg
Participant

Post by greg »

Has nothing to do with that, in the Oracle stage the field is defined as Timestamp, when doing a view data of the Oracle stage I get *'s for only the 01-01-4712 00:00:00 data. It happens in the Oracle stage before it gets to the transformation stage.
pavankvk wrote:waht is ur data type in target dataset?
if its char are u using any datetostring conversion functions?

i ususally get these **** while converting date to a char field using the built in functions and if the format of the input data is not what the function expects,then it outputs a *****

so just checking if its the same case.
Greg
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Greg,

that date is awfully close to the -4713 minimum date supported by Oracle timestamps. Does a date of year -4711 show up correctly?