DB2 UDB API Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

opdas
Participant

DB2 UDB API Stage

Post by opdas »

Hi,
When using DB2 UDB API stage gives the following error and aborts :

"DB2_UDB_API_0,0: Fatal Error: Fatal: SQLFetch: Error retrieving results from server. "

Only succeeds when try several time
Om Prakash

"There are things that are known, and there are things that are unknown, and in between there are doors"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

How long between the stage starting and the error message appearing? How busy is DB2 doing other things? How busy is the DataStage machine?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

ray.wurlod wrote:How long between the stage starting and the error message appearing? How busy is DB2 doing other things? How busy is the DataStage machine? ...
Job started at: 3/30/2006 1:49:42 PM
Error Received at: 3/30/2006 1:50:45 PM

How busy is DB2 doing other things? Not much
How busy is the DataStage machine? Not much
Om Prakash

"There are things that are known, and there are things that are unknown, and in between there are doors"
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Try running this job alone in the server.
What is the operation performed, it is select operation?
If so do the same from the command prompt, measure the time taken for that.
How complex is the query?
Where is the database situated?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

Hi Kumar,
Its a simple select query and there is no problem when trying to run from command promt even doing a "view data " from the stage is also no problem.
kumar_s wrote:Try running this job alone in the server.
What is the operation performed, it is select operation?
If so do the same from the command prompt, measure the time taken for that.
How complex is the query?
Where is the database situated?
Om Prakash

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Is it a remote database?
Try to write into a Sequential file directly.
Was there any other user accessing the same table. There can be the possibility of lock.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

Yes it is a remote database, and there is no chances that somebody else is using that.I would like to add that my fellow developers are also facing the same problem.
kumar_s wrote:Is it a remote database?
Try to write into a Sequential file directly.
Was there any other user accessing the same table. There can be the possibility of lock.
Om Prakash

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Let me reconfirm.
Is it view data succedes immediatly everytime, where as job gets aborted often. Am I right.
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

yes
You are right !
kumar_s wrote:Let me reconfirm.
Is it view data succedes immediatly everytime, where as job gets aborted often. Am I right.
Om Prakash

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

So have you tried to loading the table directly into a sequential file?
What is the structure of the job?
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

Structure of the job is like:

DB2 UDB API---->Transformer-------->Dataset

But my colegues are using different structure and have DB2 UDB API in it and they are also facing the same problem
kumar_s wrote:So have you tried to loading the table directly into a sequential file?
What is the structure of the job?
Om Prakash

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there any additional error message (specifically a DB2 error code) in the job log? If you reset the aborted job, is there an event logged "from previous run..." containing diagnostic information?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

Hi All,
Thought of posting the way the problem was solved.
Just cleared the &PH& file in the project and its working fine now.

Thanks all of you for your time.

Om
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Interesting!!
I could only see some internal warning messages stored in that directory. I am not sure how that help to resolve.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A very full &PH& directory can extend the startup time to such an extent that some timeouts begin to come into the picture. The dreaded code -14 (failed to start within one minute) can also occur under this circumstance. Keep your &PH& directories cleaned of old entries.