Various Connection Types

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Inquisitive
Charter Member
Charter Member

Various Connection Types

Post by Inquisitive »

Can anybody give me details how Datastage Enterprise connection is made to Database (What kind of connection is this?, What set up is required at Unix side?).

Are these set up at Server level or project level? If we create a new project in the existing server (where other projects are created with proper acces set-up) do we need to still set up connection (like entries in tnsnames.ora and any other set up needed at Server end) for new project?

How does enterprise stage connects to database? Is it instant client? When you connect to Oracle thorogh Enterprise stage we need to have corresponding entry in tnsnames.ora file right? and for ODBC connection we need to have an entry in uvodbc.config?

Thanks
-Vinay
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Database vendor specific connections are managed thru the database client software, be it an connection layer (OCI, CLI plugins to native DB APIs) or a command line layer (sqlldr, OSQL, etc). ODBC is handled thru the ODBC manager.

Any Oracle configurations are managed via Oracle. You need to worry about DS specific environment variables to interact with your database client software, such as ORACLE_HOME and shared library paths.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
dsecom
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsecom »

So are you saying i dont need to configure odbc.ini and uvconfig and which library do i use between these ones?

0 libclntsh.so.10.1
libheteroxa10.so
libnnz10.so
libocci.so.10.1
9 libociei.so
libocijdbc10.so
libsqlplus.so
libsqlplusic.so
ojdbc14.jar
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

.odbc.ini and uvodbc.config files are to be configured if your using an odbc handle to connect to the database. If your using native clients then you need to install clients at the server end. Set the variables associated. Thats it. Details can be found in DataStage manuals.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

DSguru2B - Should there be any configuration required in dsenv regarding the individual database home directory. When I look into Install and Upgrade Guide for odbc Configuration, the sample oracle configuration is given as

Code: Select all

# Oracle 8i
ORACLE_HOME=/space/oracle8i
ORAHOME=/space/oracle8i
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/
lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
ORACLE_SID=WSMK5
ORASID=WSMK5
export ORACLE_HOME ORAHOME ORACLE_SID ORASID
Shouldn't it need Oracle client installation again.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

It should. And ORACLE_HOME in dsenv gives you the path for the client installation.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Again for setting up the $ORACLE_HOME/lib, you should go up with the suggestion given by Ray in your other post.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Maybe I am slow this morning, but I am not getting where you are going with this Kumar.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

That post was for OP. And I was referring to this.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

kumar_s wrote:That post was for OP. And I was referring to this.
I told you I am slow this morning :?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

DSguru2B wrote: I told you I am slow this morning :?
Woke up late in morning and rushed in traffic, rushed in parking and rushed up in lift and atlast felt tired and become slow in work? :wink:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Not tired but had a very busy week. One of our systems going into production, the other project is on the way, multi-tasking. Need the weekend to refresh.
Its Friday, leave me alone :cry: :cry: :cry:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's Saturday in Australia. 8)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

ray.wurlod wrote:It's Saturday in Australia. 8)
So you in Minneapolis now, and missed another night of sleep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sleep? Wazzat?
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.