Is there any bug in Join stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

eze_ke
Participant

Is there any bug in Join stage

Post by eze_ke »

Hi All,
I have a question on join stage.
I have 6000 records in my source and I'm doing left outer join with one table, after the join I'm getting 6039 but I should get only 6000 records.
Can some please explain me why it is happening?

Thanks In Advance
Eze_ke
anntaylor
Participant

Post by anntaylor »

How many records are in table you are joining with?
eze_ke
Participant

Post by eze_ke »

anntaylor,
there are 1195 records in the table.

Thanks
Eze_ke
girija
Participant

Post by girija »

No there is no bug in Join stage. What I think that you must have some duplicate key in the right table. Please check it and I hope you get the answer.
mbsiddu
Participant

Re: Is there any bug in Join stage

Post by mbsiddu »

eze_ke wrote:Hi All,
I have a question on join stage.
I have 6000 records in my source and I'm doing left outer join with one table, after the join I'm getting 6039 but I should get only 6000 records.
Can some please explain me why it is happening?

Thanks In Advance
Eze_ke
If u do a Left outer join with tables then it will take all matching rows from the left table and also null values from the right table i think this might happening
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

Are you doing some kind of partitioning in the input?

Are you using the configuration file with multiple nodes for running this job?

--Rich
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Most probably girija would be right. Duplicates would cause more number of row in the output than expected.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
arasan
Participant

Post by arasan »

obviously u will be getting excess records I dont think so any Bug in join stage.u are using left outer join the link from left all rows u will be getting it. and the matching records from the right link.just see through the link ordering.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

arasan wrote:obviously u will be getting excess records I dont think so any Bug in join stage.u are using left outer join the link from left all rows u will be getting it. and the matching records from the right link.just see through the link ordering.
Even in this case, the number of output cannot exceed the number of records in the master link. Unless it has dulicates or improperly partitioned.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'