Sequential File size limit

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

opdas
Participant

Sequential File size limit

Post by opdas »

Hi,
Is there any limit to the file size that I can read using sequential file stage using read method as Specific file OR is there any limit to the number of files/file size when I user read method as File Pattern?

Regards
Om
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DataStage doesn't have one, but many file systems default to a 2Gb limit for sequential files. If your OS or installation doesn't have a limit then DataStage doesn't have one, either.
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

ArndW wrote:DataStage doesn't have one, but many file systems default to a 2Gb limit for sequential files. If your OS or installation doesn't have a limit then DataStage doesn't have one, either. ...
Thanks a lot or the reply....
I'm strugling at one more point ..when I use read method as file pattern and I want the name of the file also, we use File column Name but what we get is the File pattern what we pass.

Suppose we pass "/dir/filepattern*.txt" in File Pattern we get the same thing back in the File Name column and not the file name the data being sourced from.
Om Prakash

"There are things that are known, and there are things that are unknown, and in between there are doors"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Beware that your ulimit setting may impose a file size limit.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

How do I get the file names? Do I have to do some changes in setings?
Coz I get File Column Name as "/dir/filepattern*.txt" the same thing I pass in File Pattern.
Om Prakash

"There are things that are known, and there are things that are unknown, and in between there are doors"
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

opdas wrote:How do I get the file names? Do I have to do some changes in setings?
Coz I get File Column Name as "/dir/filepattern*.txt" the same thing I pass in File Pattern.
If you just want to get the file name, just pass the path name alone, it will read all the filename present in the directory.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

kumar_s wrote:
opdas wrote:How do I get the file names? Do I have to do some changes in setings?
If you just want to get the file name, just pass the path name alone, it will read all the filename present in the directory.
I have tried passing just the path name as "/dir/" but thats not even trying to read the content of the file leave alone reading the file name.
Om Prakash

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

A workaround.

Code: Select all

ls -1 /dir/filepattern*.txt > xxx.txt; cat /dir/filepattern*.txt >> xxx.txt
Add this in before job subroutine.
and read xxx.txt as 'specific file'. Now the first line of the xxx.txt will have the filename. In transformer @INROWNUM = 1 can be used to grasp the first line.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'