Warning during execution of StringToDecimal Function

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Madhu1981
Participant

Warning during execution of StringToDecimal Function

Post by Madhu1981 »

Hi,

I am having a char fiield of length 5( value is "001 ") populating to Decimal of 5. i am applying "string to decimal" and trim function combindly to remove the spaces and to convert to decimal.

I am giving as StringToDecimal(Trim("FieldName")). But i am getting warnings like
APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: A numeric string was expected, got "001 "; using Decimal, the default value.

If the input doesn't contain the spaces(Value is "00011"), then i am not getting these warnings..

Can any one help me.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Use TRIM() to remove the spaces that the StringToDecimal function can't handle.
Madhu1981
Participant

Post by Madhu1981 »

Hi I am using Trim Function,

Still i am getting the same errors.

I am using function as StringToDecimal(Trim("FieldName"))

Kindly Help me in avpoiding this warnings
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The TRIM will only work on VarChar and not CHAR columns.
Madhu1981
Participant

Post by Madhu1981 »

Hi Andrw,

I have tried stripwhite spaces also.!! Still i am getting the same problem

Kindly help me
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If your data type is VarChar and trim doesn't work then you don't have spaces in your string. But I looked at your code and
StringToDecimal(Trim("FieldName"))
will not work, you need to remove the 2 double-quotes so that the value of the parameter is used, not it's name.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Trim also works for Char.
Try to use Combinability Mode to fasle in the transformer property.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Madhu1981
Participant

Post by Madhu1981 »

Hi Kumar, Can you explain in detail. What does this combinability mode does and how it works when i make it to false
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

The option available in transformer (Also available project level).
If enabled, DataStage tries to combine all possible orchestrate operator to a single operator while compiling to reduce the over head.
Though the funcitons are given in an order, which should also work according to its own precedence, sometimes the trim and the StringToDecimal conversion may get combined. Hence it may work in other order.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

kumar_s wrote:Trim also works for Char...
Kumar, what does TRIM() on a CHAR(10) field containing "hello " return?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

ArndW wrote:
kumar_s wrote:Trim also works for Char...
Kumar, what does TRIM() on a CHAR(10) field containing "hello " return?
For a char field Len(Trim(field_name)) will return the count without whitspace.
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

Hi Kumar,

{Edited}
What I wanted to point to was the "0x0" character also know as the ASCII NULL. What I typed was "char(10). this post has been edited to correct this error.
{/edited}

<begin RANT>
Trim() does not work on the 0x0 character. Additionally, Those characters either show up as spaces or are skipped in most text editors, unix command line dumps (using cat), log output from the peek stage and the DataStage view data page.

Try this:
have a char field with the "0x0" character, output <in.charfield> and trim(<in.charfield>) to a text file. Open the text file using a hex editor (Xvi32 is what I use). check the output.

The only function that works on "0x0" is the convert(char(000), " ",<in.charfield>). (posting from home, Syntax might be incorrect). Note the Space instead of the empty string. If an empty string is used and the value is assigned to a char column again, the removed characters are padded with the default APT_STRING_PADCHAR( which is "0x0").. Full Circle!!

<end RANT>

Beware of the :twisted: 0x0 character.
Last edited by ameyvaidya on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Ameyvaidya ,

Char is a takes 1 byte to store its each character. And if you assing char(10), Datastage assigns 10 byte for storage. If you have space in the field and if you use Trim function and store back to char field it again expects the 10 character to be stored. (And hence does nothing)
But if you use trim and store to varchar it will trim the space. (Obviously varchar by itself to this for you)
Trim will work for this particular scenario for this post.
Also pls look at what i have mentioned, Len(Trim(charfield)) will give you the length value without whitespace.
And you informed that you APT_PAD_CHAR is space.
Alright no try with the follwoing,
Define a char(10) in the input, and map to output with four column.
1. Len(feild_name) --> Integer Field
2. Len(Trim(field_name)) --> Integer field
3. Trim(field_name) --> Char Field
4. Trim(field_name) --> Varchar Field

Let say if your input is "Hello " ('Hello' -> 5 digit + 5 space)
For the first column you would get 10
For second column you would get 5
For third coulmn you get "Hello "
For fourth column you get "Hello"

And if you Pass this "Hello " to a varchar, you will get the spaces at the trailing end. (Considiring the space as a valid value)

Also try "Hello " (Just 2 space) in the input, this record will be rejected. Char(10) should be Char(10)

IHTH
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

Sorry About this..
In my above post, char(10) was incorrect.. i meant the hex character "0x0"
:oops: Its been a while.

The previous post has been edited

Sorry again.
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hha..
0x0 is Ascii Null.
Yes if you assign this you will get all funky characters depend upon you test editor.
Now if you use Trim on Char field, all the white space will be replaced with this Ascii null (0x0).
You may see those items as square of circle based on your text editor interpretation.
So if you use "Hello " you would get 'Hello' followed by 5 circles.