Doubt in Constraint

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

somu_june
Premium Member
Premium Member

Doubt in Constraint

Post by somu_june »

Hi,

I have an requirement like this. I have a columm in transformer called EconomicDevalution with DEC(7,4).The data is comming to transformer from xml and Iam loading to a DB2 table.I have to check if that Economic Devalution contains DEC(7,4) length. If it doesnot I have to load in a file. When I give in constraint I can give at as Link.EconomicDevalution but not as Link.EconomicDevalution DEC(7,4) can I give like this to achieve my target . Please correct me if Iam wrong.And also help me how to achieve this.

Thanks,
Somaraju
somaraju
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Somu

You can use IsValid function to find out whether it is decimal or not.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
somu_june
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by somu_june »

Hi Rasi,

Can you brief me how to use isvalid function .Thanks for reply,

Thanks,
Somaraju
somaraju
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Somu

Refer Parallel Job Developer Guide under Function(Type Conversion Functions)

Thanks
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
somu_june
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by somu_june »

Hi Rasi,

I have seen isvalid function .It was given isvalid(%typestring%,%Valuestring%). please correct me if iam wrong isvalid(decimal,7,4).but before inserting in to a table I have to check ex : contract type is decimal (7,4) if it doesnot have decimal(7,4) I have to send to a reject link . How to check with isvalid function in transformer please help me

Thanks
Somaraju
somaraju
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

What we did to perform this check was to read it as a varchar; use the num() function to see if it is a valid number and then convert it to the required decimal format.
If not valid, the varchar can be written to reject link.

Just one thing.. Watch out for RCP issues!
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Somu

The IsValid function will verify whether it is of valid datatype decimal or integer but it won't check to see whether you got decimal(7,4) or not. If you want to do that then convert the decimal in String and separate the scale and verify.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

somu_june
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by somu_june »

Hi ameyvaidya,

Please can you tell me with an example how you people achieved.

Thanks,
Somaraju
somaraju
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

We have worked this with Sequential Files.

Actual Input Field: Field1[decimal(7,4) Nullable]

Read it in as : Field1[varchar(9) Nullable] (Check the XML File in a text editor to get the actual length of this field. Usually add 2(1 for a leading space and 1 for the decimal point)).

In a transformer Stage Variable:

SvCheckNumField1<-If Num(Trim(NullToEmpty(In.Field1))) then @TRUE else @FALSE

For the Output:
RCP Off for this Link
Constraint SvCheckNumField1
Derivations:
Field1[Decimal(7,4) Nullable]<-StringToDecimal(IN.Field1)

For the Reject:
RCP Off for this Link
Constraint not(SvCheckNumField1)
Derivations:
Field1[Varchar(9) Nullable]<-IN.Field1

Thats it.
Along with num, if you want to do additional validations about the number of decimals, etc, it can be done using additional validations either in the Stage Variable or in additional stage variables (depending on the level of detail of your error reporting requirements).
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

HI Somu,
May I know what is that you want to check?
Is that you want to check whether it is a decimal or whether it compatable to the given layout or whether it matches to 7,4 (filled with all character?)
If you want to check whether it is decimal you can use IsValid in the constataint as mentioned.
No need to bother about layout compatability, input stage will take of it.
If you want to check if it has all 7,4 with numbers, check whether the length of the value after converting to string and after striping the leading 0's is equal to 7.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
somu_june
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by somu_june »

Hi kumar,

Nice to see your post. Actually my requirement is if economic devaluation is not compatible with Dec(7,4) I must raise an error. I have a columm with name EC dec(7,4) in db2 . If I am getting from input more than dec(7,4) and when I tried to load to db2 I will get an error in log but I want to send that error to a file with the incomming data that is failed.Is there a way to load the record in a file that is not loaded in db2 to a reject link

Thanks,
Somaraju.
somaraju
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

So its data type compatability.
Say if your file is tab delimited, and if the input is 8,4. The input stage you use to read the file will reject the record with an import warning thrown.
If you need to raise an error based on this, it would be easy to maintain a seperate job to import the input data into datastage (let the output of this job be dataset for performance concern). Check for rejection of records in the job with the warning related to this field and particularlay the compatability. you can use LinkInfo or dsjob -longdetail for that purpose. Based on this you can raise error or load into table.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'