Parameter Value not being Passed correctly

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

this_is_venki
Participant

Parameter Value not being Passed correctly

Post by this_is_venki »

Hi All,

I am facing some problem while calling a parallel job from a sequencer.
The paramter values that i pass to the job seqencer(Say X) is not being passed t o the parallel job While the job initiates(It passes something else Say Y).
So the parallel job and the sequencer aborted.

So i ran the parallel job individually with the required parameters(with X) and it ran fine.

After that i again ran the sequencer with the values i had first given(i.e. X). Now the parallel job got the values correctly( i.e X) and it runs fine.

My question is that does a parallel job caches the parameter values of last run? If so under what condition is it used ? Any project level setting for it ?

This is creating a big problem in the ST phase... :cry:

The Datastage Version is 7.5.
Any pointers to it are welcome.

Thanks,
Venky
Mat01
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mat01 »

DataStage does not cache parameter values from last runs (unless you have a restartable sequencer in which case, it will notify you of any changes on a restart but the value will be changed anyway for this run)

Is the value Y your default value for this parameter in the job? If so, maybe you did not set it in your sequencer and it's using the default.

Regards,

Mat
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

How, exactly, are you passing the parameter value to the job sequence? Please describe precisely how you are doing this. The most common cause for parameter values not being received properly is that they were not passed properly. An event is logged when the job (or job sequence) starts, indicating that it is starting and reporting the job parameter values that it received. Please also advise what parameter type is involved.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Yes, since the job got aborted, you might need to reset the job before the second run for the new set of parameter to come into act.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'