Vector records

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Vector records

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi,

I need some information on 'Make subrecords stage'.I tried to find out from the manuals but, i could not make how the source should be. Can anyone share your ideas on what are vector records how will be their format...Are they some kind of Cobol sources...
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's a good way to think of it. If the source records are at a particular level (say 01) then the subrecord fields will be at a lower level (say 02) on the output of the Make Subrecord stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

In addition to that, say if you have 5 columns comming in and you can make one as the key column and which will fall in higher level say 02.
And rest of the columns can be marked to subrecords for the first column. i.e., 05.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi ray.wurlod,

Thanks for your immediate posting. I tried to pass the source in the following way...

Key acol bcol ccol

A 12 Wills D
13 wombat O
464 bill
B 22 Robin G
6 Dally O
42 Rob A
C 76 Beth B
015 Bethany O
23 Bets 1

For which should i get the output in the form if i am not wrong..

key parent

A 12 13 464
Wills wombat D
D O
B 22 6 42
Robin Dally Rob
G O A
C 76 015 23
Beth Bethany Bets
B 0 1

This is tha data what i created for testing by using the manuals.But i could not achieve the output..My job is aborting.
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi kumar_s,

I am trying to understand your post.
You mean to say that, if i have col1,col2,col3,col4,col5 columns and if i make col1 as key column and rest of the field as the subrecords by a different records. But can you just tell me why did you assume the key column as 02 and the subrecords as 05.
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
You can try using Combine Record Stage to create a Vector records from a set of group records. From which you can use you Make Subrecord Stage to create the subrecords.
Hmm... 02 and 05 are the conventional figures used to mention the top level and sub level in the Mainfram aspect.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'