Union for few Materialized Views.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nick_6789
Participant

Union for few Materialized Views.

Post by Nick_6789 »

Hi all,

I am just wondering does the subjected scnerio actually eats up db server resources? I am using Oracle 9i
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
DB question in DS forum.
It shuldn't be a matter whether it a table or Materialized view for the union funciton. But it depends on the frequency rate of your refresh to the view. And depends on the location the base table resides. Something similar to this, if you want to union two materialized view and if both has been refresh already to local database, then the union command you use is simila to the one used with two tables.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kwwilliams
Participant

Post by kwwilliams »

Making this assumption: Posting in the DataStage forum you are using DataStage.

I would then like to ask you a question, why would you union on your database when you can mimick the same behavior in DataStage? Are you having a resource problem that made you post this question? Does your job appear to be running "slow" (relative term) ?

Of course Union is going to eat up computing on the database, how much, I don't know. For that question you might try another forum specific to oracle. My favorite is asktom.oracle.com.