Data Encryption/DeCryption

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Simba
Participant

Data Encryption/DeCryption

Post by Simba »

Hi,
I want to encrypt a field (acct number, all numeric of size 16) before insert into an oracle table. Also Have to decrypt for lookup from the table. Please suggest best solution to do this.

Thanks,
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Build your own encryption logic. You can built a routine to acheive a high level of encryption/security. Or in simple you can use transformers expression to acheive your need. Search in google to some smart encryption logic. Do the reverse while unloading and before loading into the lookup file set. You can build your logic somthing like find the complement using Not and do BitXOr with 11111111... and add up with a constant.....
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First you need to decide what 'encrypt' means, how secure or complex it needs to be, etc etc. Then you can see how you can achieve that in DataStage. If you use your own code, you can build custom encrypt and decrypt routines or objects that you can call from inside the job. Other than that, you'll need to leverage external resources like Java or C/C++ programs. How you did *that* would depend on the tools your company has access to. We recently did some MD5 encryption via a call to a Java program in the Filter box of the Sequential file stage, for instance, but that's a Server solution. I'm sure there are ways you can work out something similar in PX. :wink:

Something else you can look into is doing the encryption directly in Oracle using the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT built into the database. This is a link to a pdf whitepaper on the subject from Oracle that a quick Google turned up for me. That would probably be the most straight-forward and 'standard' way to do this from an Oracle standpoint, I would think.

Have fun! :D
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers