changing the dateformat

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

scorpion
Participant

changing the dateformat

Post by scorpion »

Hi all,

can any one direct me about changing the date format..

my input is like:

Thu Jan 19 16:59:51 EST 2006

but i need to output as like:

YYYY-MM-DD T 00:00:00 (format)

it will be done by using iconv or oconv functions.but i am not getting reqd.output
can any one help me with exact syntax
Thanx&Regards
scorpion
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Iconv and Oconv won't work in Parallel Stages you need to use DatetoString function. Read the manual for more help on these functions. Or post what is your syntax.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

rasi wrote:Iconv and Oconv won't work in Parallel Stages you need to use DatetoString function. Read the manual for more help on these functions. Or post what is your syntax.
Shouldnt it be StringToDate :wink:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
scorpion
Participant

need help on date format

Post by scorpion »

hi all,

cau any one helpme on this?

tx
Thanx&Regards
scorpion
opdas
Participant

Re: need help on date format

Post by opdas »

hi,
Can you give us your exact requirement? Do you want your transformed data to be in string or Timestamp format?

If your input string is of the format you mentioned then you can use Stage variable and get convert "Jan" to 01(in string) and atlast concatenate all into the string you want

Regards
Om
scorpion wrote:hi all,

cau any one helpme on this?

tx
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Hi

If your format "Thu Jan 19 16:59:51 EST 2006" is like this I don't think there is a function to convert. You have to break the day, month and year part based on your source format and then finally concatenate
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: changing the dateformat

Post by ameyvaidya »

scorpion wrote:Hi all,

it will be done by using iconv or oconv functions.but i am not getting reqd.output
Hi Scorpion,
Good news:
Like Rasi said, if the source is a string(char or varchar), you can get necessary substrings for the Date and Year directly from the Source.

Bad News:
I could not find any Pattern string that fits the Month part. The resolution would be 12 Nested If-then-else Statements in a stage variable that get the Month Number.

Finally the desired date format can be assembled from the pieces like:

SvYearPart<- <In.Date>[25,4]
SvUpCaseMonth<- UpCase(<In.Date>[5,3])
SvMonthPart<-
If SvUpCaseMonth="JAN" then "01" else
If SvUpCaseMonth="FEB" then "02" else...
SvDayPart<- <In.Date>[9,2]
SvDayOfWeekPart<- <In.Date>[1,1]
TgtDateString<- SvYearPart:"-":SvMonthPart:"-":SvDayPart:" ":SvDayOfWeekPart:" 00:00:00"

Important: The input string has to be exactly the same format every time. Leading Spaces, Variable number of digits or Characters (1 rather than 01, Thurs tather than Thu) will cause this logic to fail.

IHTH
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
opdas
Participant

Re: changing the dateformat

Post by opdas »

ameyvaidya wrote:
scorpion wrote:Hi all,

Hi Scorpion,
Good news:
Like Rasi said, if the source is a string(char or varchar), you can get necessary substrings for the Date and Year directly from the Source.

Bad News:
I could not find any Pattern string that fits the Month part. The resolution would be 12 Nested If-then-else Statements in a stage variable that get the Month Number.

Finally the desired date format can be assembled from the pieces like:

SvYearPart<- <In.Date>[25,4]
SvUpCaseMonth<- UpCase(<In.Date>[5,3])
SvMonthPart<-
If SvUpCaseMonth="JAN" then "01" else
If SvUpCaseMonth="FEB" then "02" else...
SvDayPart<- <In.Date>[9,2]
SvDayOfWeekPart<- <In.Date>[1,1]
TgtDateString<- SvYearPart:"-":SvMonthPart:"-":SvDayPart:" ":SvDayOfWeekPart:" 00:00:00"

Important: The input string has to be exactly the same format every time. Leading Spaces, Variable number of digits or Characters (1 rather than 01, Thurs tather than Thu) will cause this logic to fail.

IHTH
Hi,
For dates like "2006-MAR-09" can be converted by using StringToDate("2006-MAR-09","%yyyy-%mmm-%dd").

Try this.....