Retrieving Metadata dynamically at run time

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Pavan78
Participant

Retrieving Metadata dynamically at run time

Post by Pavan78 »

Hi,

I need to create a generic job which will create metadata for different tables at run time.

My source is DB2 and I need to create table definitions at run time for different tables at run time.

Please let me know how can this be accomplished.

Regards,
- Pavan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's a very easy one. It can't be done with this tool. DataStage is driven by the metadata, not the reverse. Some people elect to create a "generic table definition" with more than enough VarChar columns, but it's not really a satisfactory solution.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Pavan78
Participant

Post by Pavan78 »

ray.wurlod wrote:That's a very easy one. It can't be done with this tool. DataStage is driven by the metadata, not the reverse. Some people elect to create a "generic table definition" with more than enough VarChar columns, but it's not really a satisfactory solution.
Hi Ray,

So whats the best approach, I need to create a generic job which will extract metadata for more than 40 tables.

Regards,
- Pavan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Write it yourself in C or shell script. It can't be done with DataStage.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bhargava129189
Participant

Post by bhargava129189 »

Ray how do i create the unix script. do you mean we can pass metadata for a job using shell script please elaborate.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

bhargava129189 wrote:Ray how do i create the unix script. do you mean we can pass metadata for a job using shell script please elaborate.
Hi
Welcome Aboard :D

Once the metadate been created using scripts, Scheme file option can be utilized (The option available in Sequential stage) to accomplish the task.
But for DB2 stage :? Iam not sure about the dynamic metadata allocation.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

bhargava129189 wrote:Ray how do i create the unix script. do you mean we can pass metadata for a job using shell script please elaborate.
You create the script with a text editor. How you get and handle the metadata is up to you. "Dynamic metadata" can not be done in DataStage. This is not a forum for solving non-DataStage problems.