Problem openning job- No design time information

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zion1023
Participant

Problem openning job- No design time information

Post by zion1023 »

Hi All,

Can anybody help me on this. Whenever Im trying to open any job on the server, the client software always prompt me with this message.

"This item has no design time information"

Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This means that the references inside the repository are incorrect. The most common cause of this error is broken indices. You can reindex the project using the Admin command tool or the TCL command line and enter the "DS.TOOLS" command to get the menu, then choose the option for "reindex"; you need to make sure that all DataStage users exit the project when you do this.
zion1023
Participant

Post by zion1023 »

Hi,

Tried it, but the problem still persist. =(

thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That is not good at all. Make a backup of the directory now (just to be on the safe side). Can you think of any condition in DataStage or the System that happened between the time your project was OK and now?
Benouche
Participant

Post by Benouche »

This message is displayed when you try to open a job having only the executables available, for example in production environment if it is your company policy.

So it is a normal behaviour if you imported a dsx containing only the executables... During export, you select which components you want (job design, executables ...)

Hope this helps,

Benouche
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Benouche - that is why I asked if something had broken. If the answer is that it is OK in development and showing an error in production then what you've described is the actual cause, if it is in the development environment or somewhere where it "used to" work then they have a problem.
Benouche
Participant

Post by Benouche »

ArndW, I think it's better to check this twice.
Could be a simple export/import between 2 projects in development ...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This "no design information" message can also result from a job having been "released" (the precursor to Version Control), which creates a new version-stamped job that is never able to be changed again. How they achieve this is by removing that job's ROOT record for that job from DS_JOBOBJECTS. In theory one could re-build the ROOT record from other records in DS_JOBOBJECTS and RT_CONFIGnnn, but there certainly aren't any tools out there to support doing so; you would need something like the line editor (ED) and knowledge of the structure of a ROOT record (which is not in the public domain).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.