MKS Toolkit

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

MKS Toolkit

Post by seanc217 »

I was wondering if anyone knew if I could write a shell script that utilized the korn shell capabilities of the MKS Tool kit to have this script execute in a windows environment. The reason for this is that my test and prod boxes will run on HP UX. This way I do not have to re-write any scripts that I may develop on windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help as always.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Sure, just bear in mind that being 99.9% compatible doesn't guarantee thatit will work correctly in both Windows and UNIX environments. DataStage doesn't notice a difference when doing external calls - apart from choosing your external call type (DOS/UNIX), but you can use a call to system(91) to determine your OS type.
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

Thanks for the response. I realize that it will not always be 100% compatible, but 99.9% is closer then coding in dos batch.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Stick to the basics and you'll be fine. I write a lot of scripts using MKS and they're extremely portable. The worst problem is dealing with Windoze filenames and such.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... and you can even map those. For example, if your current drive is C: then MKS will recognize C:\tmp as /tmp and will recognize C:\ as /.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
clshore
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by clshore »

Yeah, but beware of filenames with embedded whitespace.
You have to make sure that all command line strings enclose all file/path with Double Quotes, meaning that you have to take pains to escape the DQ correctly inside DataStage.
Don't get me wrong, I *like* MKS, but it can be a PITA.

Since your real target is UNIX, if you stick to all UNIX-friendly path/file names, you should be OK.

Carter