Update using Teradata Enterprise Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Help_DSEE
Participant

Update using Teradata Enterprise Stage

Post by Help_DSEE »

Hi All,

Is there any way in Teradata Enterpeise stage to update records of a table. I mean can we write an update query in Teradata Enterprise Stage.. I can find a Write mode but not Write method.

If Teradata Enterprise Stage does not support Update, Is there any other stage that can be used for this purpose?

Regards,
Praveen
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Praveen,

For Volume < 10000 rows use Teradata API stage

For Volume > 10000 rows use Teradata Multiload stage.

HTH
--Rich
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vinaymanchinila »

When do we use the following when reading data
API stage and EE stage
Thanks,
Thanks,
Vinay
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Vinay

You can use both Teradata Entreprise Stage and Teradat Multiload stage to read data from Teradata. Enterprise stage uses normal sql command to select records from table whereas Multiload uses Fast export which is faster than enterprise stage. Both can be used to read data depends on volume you have to choose
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Hi Praveen
Is there any way in Teradata Enterpeise stage to update records of a table. I mean can we write an update query in Teradata Enterprise Stage.. I can find a Write mode but not Write method.

If Teradata Enterprise Stage does not support Update, Is there any other stage that can be used for this purpose?
Yes, you can use Teradata Multiload stage to update records to your table. Not many databases has all the load type options which Teradata MultiLoad provides. It is faster compared to Enterprise stage.

Below is the list of load types you have while using Multi Load Utility.

Load Type
The type of load activity taking place when the load utility selected in Load Utility executes. The options are:

Insert - Instructs the load utility to insert all acceptable rows.

Update - Instructs the load utility to update any rows for which there is a key match.

Delete - Instructs the load utility to delete any rows for which there is a key match.

Upsert - Instructs the load utility to update any rows for which there is a key match and insert any acceptable rows for which there is no key match
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Note also that the Properties tree's properties change as you change some of the properties (such as Write Mode). :shock:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hi ,
The reason I asked this instead of going to the manual is , if we use the Teradata EE stage to read, it is trying to create the temp terasync table and the same read from teradata API stage does not, tried to look up the manul but could not find the difference.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Thanks,
Vinay
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Got this one!
Thanks,
Vinay