Datastage on UNIX Installation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage on UNIX Installation

Post by reddy »

Hello Sir,

I am good in Unix shell scripts and have little knowledge on kernel shell.

Do you think i am able to install datastage on unix with the help of installation guide.

Please help on basic steps and problems on installation and troble shooting.

Thanks a lot sir

Reddy
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The installation guide is a complete and accurate reference. Follow its guidance precisely. All needed scripts are supplied on the media - you will not need to do any script creation.

You may - depending on your UNIX - need to modify some kernel parameters. To do this you need administrative (superuser) access to the UNIX machine, or assistance from someone who has.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Hi Reddy,
The first thing you MUST do is to read the installation guide for UNIX installation and assuming that you have followed every step specified in the installation requirements. Then, you probably have installed a Datastage EE on the UNIX box with most of the default setttings.

Most likely, the problem that you will encounter is when you install DataStage Enterprise Edition the system is automatically configured to use the supplied default configuration file. This allows you to run parallel jobs right away, but is not [b]optimized[/b] for your system. On the other hand, your developers do not have complete undetstanding and/or authority how to optimize the hardware and he/she ended up developed a PX job which actually hurting the system performance due to exceeding the capacity of your hardware. However, other problems such as ODBC driver, Oracle client, DB2, etc. are much easier to fix. Good luck.