Change Capture and Change Apply Satage in Datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kapil008
Participant

Change Capture and Change Apply Satage in Datastage

Post by kapil008 »

I have created the following process for Change Capture:

processing_table
> ChangeCapture > delta_table
archive_table

The delta_table has an additional column change_code. Run time propagation is set to on
and the change capture stage in parallel datastage job works fine, with the change_code
populated with either 0-3 values.

In sync with Change Capture, I am also using Change Apply stage to update
the archive table with the contents of delta_table

archive_table
> ChangeApply > archive_table
delta_table

Setup:

Archive_dataset table is exactly the same as the delta_table except that the delta_table table
has one additional column change_code as it should be. I have run time propogation set to on.
Also in the change_mode of Change_Apply stage I have set "Change Mode" value to "All Keys, Explict Values".
This set up is imperative for my processing to compare all avaliable keys and values.

Issue:

When I run the Change Apply stage, I get a "Fatal" error :

main_program: Added Field has duplicate indentifier(): CHANGE_CODE

So what's going on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kapil Ladha
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This message suggests that you've used CHANGE_CODE more than once in the setup of your Change Apply stage. Check your work.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kapil008
Participant

Post by kapil008 »

nop i have not....

ray.wurlod wrote:This message suggests that you've used CHANGE_CODE more than once in the setup of your Change Apply stage. Check your work.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
How about trying explicit key and values.
Try to give all the key you require and check.

-Kumar
kapil008
Participant

Post by kapil008 »

Well...

As a part of the ETL design, we are trying to use Change Apply and Change Capture stages together as a reusable component in ETL processing and do not wish to hard code the key values in. That's why in the change_mode of Change_Apply stage I have set "Change Mode" value to "All Keys, Explict Values". Also I have run time propogation set to "ON". This set up is imperative for my processing to compare all avaliable keys and values.

I agree that If I hard code the "key" value in when I select explicit key and values then the Change Apply will work. Does this mean to suggest that there is a bug in the "Change Apply" stage and it will not work if we set "All Keys, Explict Values" is set. Is this a document problem by assential? Any body ever faced this issue?

Kapil
kumar_s wrote:Hi,
How about trying explicit key and values.
Try to give all the key you require and check.

-Kumar
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Kapil,

Before pointing out the bug available in the Stages, we can narrow down the issue, and make sure its not as a part of job design.
I dont want you to disturb the reusable component. Rather make a copy and try the rest. If that work we can find out the root cause, or yet more investigation needed.

-Kumar
kapil008
Participant

Post by kapil008 »

Kumar

As I mentioned, If I hard code the "key" value in when I select explicit key and values then the Change Apply works. However, on setting the option of "All Keys, Explict Values", I get the "Fatal" error :

main_program: Added Field has duplicate indentifier(): CHANGE_CODE

so not yet sure what else could be done...

Kapil
kumar_s wrote:Hi Kapil,

Before pointing out the bug available in the Stages, we can narrow down the issue, and make sure its not as a part of job design.
I dont want you to disturb the reusable component. Rather make a copy and try the rest. If that work we can find out the root cause, or yet more investigation needed.

-Kumar
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
We also face issues in Change apply (Not the same)
Try raising the issue to IBM support people as well.
Mean while, you can manage to achieve the same logic using join and transformer.

-Kumar