Pivot Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bala_135
Premium Member
Premium Member

Pivot Stage

Post by bala_135 »

Hi,

I have got a doubt with Pivot stage.It is used to convert columns into rows. Can anyone tell me what exactly its uses with respect to datawarehousing concepts. Kindly suggest me if i can use this stage to convert a SCD type3 to SCD type2.

Thanks,
Bala.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You could if your data modeler has each history column set with the dates that each of the historical values occurred. Since type 2 has a beginning effective date and optional end effective date, you have to more than just pivot, you potential will merge instances of the row when two or more history column sets have the same beginning effective date.

I highly doubt you have the date associated with each historical column, so it's really a moot point. There's really no method allowed to convert a type 3 to type 2 because of the dates. In theory, yes, the pivot stage could assist you in part of the conversion work.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle