mainframe flat file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

djoni
Participant

mainframe flat file

Post by djoni »

My source is a flat file on mainframe, my target is Oracle on AIX where my EE server is.
Am I right that I can use the FTP plug-in?
Where must I install the plug-in?
What else do I need?
djoni
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You can use the FTP plugin, this lets you start processing rows of data as they arrive on your server. I prefer to use an FTP script and bring the file across as soon as it is ready, then process them on the DataStage server as per the processing batch schedule. This provides for a more secure FTP process and file archiving on the server. It also lets you compress and ftp the file in necessary.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

Does this mean the FTP plug-in is not secure and does not have that compressing capability?
djoni
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

FTP plugin is using FTP, which is not SFTP. If you want high-performance data transfer across a network that is secure, then use a secure command line program with compression logic.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

Where must I install the FTP plug-in?
On the source, target, EE server, FTP server platform, ... ?
djoni
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Plug-in stages can only be installed on the DataStage server. You use the package installer (dspackinst script) to achieve this. If there is a custom GUI, then you install this on the DataStage client machine using a standard InstallShield setup.exe program.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.