What are the system requirements for Parallel Extender/PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rony_daniel
Participant

What are the system requirements for Parallel Extender/PX

Post by rony_daniel »

Hi All,

Please anyone tell me what are the sytem requirements for Installing Datastage Parallel Extender/PX.

Thanks,
Rony
thompsonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thompsonp »

I recommend you read the installation notes shipped with the software.
If you haven't got the media yet, but have an eservice account try the ascential web site starting at:

http://www.ascential.com/eservice/knowledge/manuals.do

Failing that contact Ascential - I'm sure they'll send you the information if you haven't yet decided whether to purchase or not.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I assume you mean hardware requirements, not OS. Hardware is subjective. How much data, how often, how quick? If the answer is gigs hourly in under an hour, then you are talking differently than megs each day between midnight an open of business.

If your question is absolute minimum to just move a single row of data, then a single cpu x86 based PC with 512 megs of RAM is sufficient to just see the product work.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

hi Kenneth,
Do you mean to say that both server and cleint can be installed in same machine,
i assume server should be in AIX :roll:

regards
kumar
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Client is always Windoze, release 7.5 something works on Windoze and Unix.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
rony_daniel
Participant

Post by rony_daniel »

Thanks to all.

Kenneth, my requirement is absolute minimum. I want to see the product work on my Desktop which is having a WinXP(Pro). I don't have access to a UNIX server. Can i still have both the client and server installed in the same machine and work with Parallel Extender. The confusion is because I heard for Parallel Extender the server needs to be on a UNIX box.

Thanks,
Rony.
apraman
Participant

Post by apraman »

rony_daniel wrote: The confusion is because I heard for Parallel Extender the server needs to be on a UNIX box.

Thanks,
Rony.
Till date I know to install Paralle Extender DataStage server , the OS need to be Unix. Most of the cases Server OS is SunOS. If I am wrong do correct me
cmmurari
Participant

Post by cmmurari »

DS Enterpsie Edition 7.5 To execute paralljobs still you need unix flavor. if DS Server installed on windows you may be create and compile parallel jobs , you may not able to run parallel jobs on windows.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi Roni,

I belive we have installed the 7.5X2 on a laptop and it works, so no problems there (just don't expect to much from that configuration ;)).

Down side I think NLS is not yet supported on the windows platform, perhaps in the hawk release that is due shortly (end of year) it will be supported.

Contact your local distributer for more info.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

7.5x2 (which I also have installed on a laptop) is the first Windows version of DS EE. As with most first versions, it is rather flaky in places. And the machine's capacity really does limit the degree of parallelism that you can achieve.
My laptop runs 3.5GHz Pentium processor, has 2GB of RAM and 280GB of hard disk. I would not recommend less memory. I have plenty of disk space, but then I don't process huge volumes on this machine. I wouldn't recommend a processor slower than 2GHz; DS EE processes are computationally expensive as well as very memory hungry - after all, one of the fundamental design decisions in Orchestrate is to do as much as possible in memory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
thompsonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thompsonp »

Ray,

Is version 7.5x2 a beta release? I can't find any details of it on the Ascential site and was wondering how to get hold of a copy / license.

Does it run on XP Pro? Which compiler does it use?

Thanks
Paul
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's a real release, you buy it in the usual way. It's been a while since I installed it, and I had pre-installed Visual Studio .NET, so I imagine it uses the compiler in that. And, yes, it installs on XP Pro (but has the SP2 issues other posters have reported, particularly the firewall that Microsoft imposes so that you can't use anything useful). Runs? Well, one can get jobs to compile and to move data, but nowhere near the throughput of a true multi-CPU environment. And, as I noted, it's flaky - way too many bugs to be useful.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.