dsenginge won't start

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hiltsmi
Participant

dsenginge won't start

Post by hiltsmi »

I am running on windows with 7.5x enterprise edition.

My jobs are all server.

I ran a job with an empty source file. After the job was running for several minutes I tried to stop the job from the director. I then got a popup window complaining about an internal error.

I clicked okay and the popup disappeared but then immediately reappeared. Every time I clicked okay the popup disappeared and then immediately reappeared.

After doing this 10-20 times I finally killed both the designer and director.

I then tried to login through the designer and got an error message saying it could not connect to the engine.

I went into the control panel - services and sure enough the service was not running. I tried to start it and got an error saying it could not start.

I re-booted the machine and tried starting the service again and got the same error. I restarted the machine again and retried it still failed.

Then using a dos cmd window I went to th engine/bin directory and tried to start the engine directly. It complains about not finding uvconfig and quits.

I did not delete any files but the uvconfig is not there.

Can anyone make suggestions?
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
A situation such as you mentioned might need to reinstall the server.
If you only miss your uvconfig file and you have a backup you might be able to salvage some work, but I don't like working in questionable installation as your's is obviously now.

Can you specify more what was in the mistery job that made this mess?

Reading from an empty file usually leads to a job doing almost nothing but what else was in this job?
Where was it writing to?

such info might help us give other advise.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
hiltsmi
Participant

Post by hiltsmi »

I had exported the job from server version 7.5 and imported it into the new 7.5x enterprise version both running on windows.

We have been running version 7.5x for about a month but only with new jobs created on that server.

I recompiled the job and then tried running the job.

Could the problem be from trying to run a job from a previous version?

As I said I re-compiled before running.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Be specific about the error message.

Is it that you can't connect (which your text suggests) or that DSEngine won't start (as you specify in your subject)?

What diagnostic steps have you taken? Can you telnet to the server machine? Is the dsrpcd process running? Can you connect to another project? Can you connect with the Administrator client?

You have to help yourself a bit here.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aartlett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by aartlett »

I'll have to agree with Ray. Your texts mentions that "got a popup window complaining about an internal error. " Was the error from Director or the server it self?

Are you ruinning averything in one box or two? (are your client and server seperate?)

More information will lead to enlightenment :)
Andrew

Think outside the Datastage you work in.

There is no True Way, but there are true ways.
hiltsmi
Participant

Post by hiltsmi »

I am running all the DS software (client/server) in one box. I can connect to the box.

None of the datastage windows services will run, including the engine and rpc. If I try to start the service manually I get

"Error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner"

Other than the datastage services not running everything else on the box is fine.

As I mentioned in my original post I tried to start the dsengine manually from a cmd window and I get an error saying it can't fine uvconfig.

When I start the designer I get
"Failed to connect to host: localhost, project UV
(internal Error (811013))"

None of the ds clients will start, they all complain about the same thing.