how does DataStage connects to Oracle?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sanjay
Premium Member
Premium Member

how does DataStage connects to Oracle?

Post by sanjay »

Hi All,

Our Environment:
HP Unix 11i (11.23)
Oracle 10g R1 (10.1.0.4)
DataStage 7.5.1A EE
Itaniun Hardware

In our case, both DataStage and Oracle database is running on the same unix box. And found that all our DataStage jobs are using sqlnet (with network overhead) when it connects to database.

Is there a way to force DataStage to use IPC protocol (without network overhead) as both db and DataStage are in same machine?

Please share your thoughts in this regard to reduce network overhead.

Thanks in advance.
Srini
mabramson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: how does DataStage connects to Oracle?

Post by mabramson »

Hello Srini,

It looks like you are using the Oracle Enterprise Stage. I am not clear on where the bottleneck is. However, you might want to benchmark the Oracle Enterprise Stage with the Dynamic RDBMS Stage (DRS Stage). You may find some performance improvements depending on what your Datastage jobs are doing.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
DS uses the client installed on the machine to connect to the DB, there for if you can configure a client connection that will connect to your liking you might be able to do it (alas I have not that info).
Read the manuals on specific details.

I do recall recomendations not to have DS EE and DB on the same machine for resource ussage reasons, but it's not mandatory.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org