regarding Date conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nripendra Chand
Premium Member
Premium Member

regarding Date conversion

Post by Nripendra Chand »

Hi,

in px decimal to date function is not available. so I'm changing the decimal to string first and then using stringtodate funtion to get the date output. Input data is in decimal form.
But in output it's showing me ********. I've specified date as the data type in the output column.
What is the reason?

Regards,
Nripendra
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Show us exactly what you did, and that may be an easier question to answer.
Did you build this incrementally, verifying that your conversion to string is successful? If so, what does the string look like? That having been done, does that correspond to the date picture you are currently using?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I keep a test job around that has every data type as input and output. I use it to test parallel transformation and modify functions such as these. It lets me output the final result and interim values such as the value produced by DecimaltoString. You may need to add formatting to your DecimaltoString such as fix_zero or suppress_zero to stop pesky leading zeros and decimal points from being added that may cause problems in the string to date conversion.

There are several threads on the undocumented suppress_zero option:
viewtopic.php?t=92663&highlight=decimaltostring
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
Data Length also dose the mater.
Probably date field doesnt require the length to be specified. If specified less than the required even during conversion, it happens.

regards
kumar
battaliou
Participant

Re: regarding Date conversion

Post by battaliou »

Usually you gets *'s when the date is null or in the wrong format. I hope you are using varchar(11) rather than char as this will introduce a null filler into your data unless you've set $APT_STRING_PADCHAR= space

Post an example of the date you're trying to convert if you want any more help.
3NF: Every non-key attribute must provide a fact about the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key. So help me Codd.
Nripendra Chand
Premium Member
Premium Member

input record is 20050812. it's datatype is decimal(8). I'm converting it to a string using decimaltostring fn and assigning it to a stage variable named "svr". Data type of the stage variable is varchar(8). Then in the column derivation I'm using following funtion:
StringToDate(left(svr,4):"-":right(left(svr,2),2):"-":right(left(svr,8),2),"%yyyy-%mm-%dd")
The output column is having the data type date(10). After running the job output data is coming as ***********.

-Nripendra
Nripendra Chand
Premium Member
Premium Member

in my last reply length has been replaced by emotions. input data type is decimal and length is 8. the length of stage variable is 8. and the length of the output date is 10.

-Nripendra
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look a bit more closely at the right(left(svr,2),2) part of your expression. Consider using the Substring function for the middle component.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Nripendra Chand
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hi Ray,

I can't see any substring fn in px. In px "left" and "right" fn are available for extraction purpose. If i assign the output col as char(10), the output is coming properly (2005-08-12). I checked the length of the derivation also. Length is coming as 10.

-Nripendra
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sorry, should have been clearer. Substring from the expression editor's operator menu. It's represented in the expression using square brackets.
Nripendra Chand
Premium Member
Premium Member

But if i use char(10) as data type in the output column, then output is coming correct. So do you think there is any issue with left and right fn?

-Nripendra
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Nripendra Chand,

Try to output the value of the stage variable without doing the StringToDate Conversion. You will find that there will a leading space to the string and the last character truncated(A weird behaviour)

I hope you are using DecimalToString(input_column) as the derivation for stage variable. Use Trim(DecimalToString(input_column)).

Use the following output to do the StringtoDate conversion. It should be through.

HTH
--Rich
Nripendra Chand
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hi richdhan,

I did this as well but it's not working. One thing I've analysed. Suppose input is 20041010 (decimal value). While converting it into a string, output is coming as "20041010.". When I tried to use left to extract only left 8 most characters, it is giving "2004101.". It is removing the 2nd right most char and putting ".". I'm really surprised with this. What should i do to remove the "."?

Regards,
Nripendra
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have a leading space (reserved for the sign)? Check with a Peek stage or similar.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Nripendra Chand,

Use the following conversion. You should be through.

Trim(Field(DecimalToString(INPUT_COLUMN),".",1))

HTH
--Rich