Saving or Retrieving the job log

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rickrambo
Participant

Saving or Retrieving the job log

Post by rickrambo »

We are using PX 7.5 on UNIX. I would like to know how I can save or retieve job log after the new version of the job is imported into the project.

We have set up to clean up the PROD logs older than 3 days thru DS adminstrator. When a job needs to be modified and imported into the prod project, the old job logs will be wiped out. I would like to know the different option I have here to save the logs in this event. When you advise, please let me know the specific ways of doing this.

I have already searched in the forum for 'old logs', 'job logs' etc.., but didn't find what I am looking.

Thanks in advance.
Rick.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The easiest way is to use Print to File in Director. However this is a manual process - OK for one or two jobs, tedious for many.

There has been SQL posted on more than one occasion for archiving job logs. Search for "archive" and "RT_LOG" should find you something.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
benny.lbs
Participant

Re: Saving or Retrieving the job log

Post by benny.lbs »

I have built a DS server routine named "GetLatestJobLog" to retrieve DS job log and call it in each job 's after-job-routine. It will use jobname as filename and write to given path.
rickrambo wrote:We are using PX 7.5 on UNIX. I would like to know how I can save or retieve job log after the new version of the job is imported into the project.

We have set up to clean up the PROD logs older than 3 days thru DS adminstrator. When a job needs to be modified and imported into the prod project, the old job logs will be wiped out. I would like to know the different option I have here to save the logs in this event. When you advise, please let me know the specific ways of doing this.

I have already searched in the forum for 'old logs', 'job logs' etc.., but didn't find what I am looking.

Thanks in advance.
Rick.
rickrambo
Participant

Post by rickrambo »

Benny,

Can you post your 'GetLaterstJobLog' for me to get an idea how to do it? Thanks.
dsusr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsusr »

Hi Rick,

You can get the job logs using "dsjob" command from $DSHOME/bin and after every job run you can retrieve the log using dsjob and can store in some file.

Regards
dsusr