Tab delimited related

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

divya vowels
Participant

Tab delimited related

Post by divya vowels »

Hi,

Can anyone help me on this problem,

I have a requirement to pass a Tab delimiter as a parameter in the run time.I cannot use a Char(009) to pass as a parameter.So, What should i do on the same.Should i use a Tab as the default value in the job parameter..??

Thanks and Regards!!
:D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can't readily be done in a parallel job if you want to use a Sequential File stage to read columns based on a schema; the record delimiter character and final delimiter character can not be substituted with job parameters in this stage.

Looks like you're trying to rewrite a server job in the parallel world!

You can still read the entire line as a single VarChar, then use a Transformer stage to parse it using Field() functions. If you do that, you can use a job parameter reference as the second argument to the Field() function.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
divya vowels
Participant

Post by divya vowels »

Hi ray,

Thanks for that..

But my actual requirment is that..My source from a crystal report.I have to concatenate two fields with a tab delimiter which should be passed at runtime (i.e. as a parameter).This run time delimiter should also be used for checking in the later columns...

Thanks and Regards!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

if you call the job from UNIX you could use the command line escape \t when setting a parameter value. I think that if you put a tab into your paste buffer you can paste it into the parameter value field when calling it from the Director as well.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I haven't tried this in DataStage but in many Windows applications you can use Ctrl-Tab to insert a tab where a regular Tab would move you to the next field.

Once you upgrade to 7.5 you will be able to use any expression in a Job Activity in a job sequence and therefore will be able to use Char(9) to deliver the tab character to the job parameter.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.