Using of RCP(Runtime Column Propagation)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jack_dcy
Participant

Using of RCP(Runtime Column Propagation)

Post by jack_dcy »

Hi all,
I don't check the option of "Enable Runtime Column Propagation in Parallel Jobs" in the Datastage Administrator, because I think there have some bugs in some stages, such as lookup.

Pls give me some suggestion about this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please post your reasons for believing that there are bugs. Be specific about stage types and nature of bug in each case.

I usually advocate not using RCP but not because of any bug. My reason is that tools such as MetaStage can't provide usage/lineage analysis of columns that are generated "on the fly". Nor should it be able to!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jack_dcy
Participant

Post by jack_dcy »

Hi ray

sorry, I forget the bugs, maybe it is not a bug. I will find it.

By the way,Will the RCP improve the performance very much?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

Runtime propagation adds columns that are in the schema but not explicitly in your design. If anything, one could argue that this degrades performance (the extra processing to make that decision). In practice, though, it's negligible.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.