Error while installing DataStage Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Semkaa
Participant

Error while installing DataStage Server

Post by Semkaa »

Hello!
I have an error while installing DataStage server on Windows 2003 Server 64bit.

Code: Select all

The MKS Toolkit Components install failed.
Please refer to the DataStage Release Notes.

MKSToolkit error was: 536870918
Win32 error was:2
What is MKS Toolkit?
I installed DataStage Server on Windows 2k Server 32bit with no error... But now I need to install it to Windows 2003 64.

Thank you!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Could you check your readme file for the DataStage installation and make sure that it is supported for the 64 bit version; I seem to recall that it is not.
Semkaa
Participant

Post by Semkaa »

Can't find any information about MKS Toolkit in install guide. Besides that I have look into DataStage distr directory and have found next thing. There are 4 install files for MKS Toolkit in \2335-ds-75x2-win\DataStage Server\oe directory. Among them there are Toolkit64i.msi and Toolkit64x.msi. I think that this is install files for 64bit versions of Windows.
Can you tell me what is the purpose of this toolkit in DataStage? How important is this component for DataStage to work correctly and can I somehow exclude installing this toolkit with installing DataStage.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Semkaa,

have you looked at the READMEs on your CD to see whether DataStage is supported on the 64bit Windows - I still think that it is not going to work.

The MKS Toolkit allows migration across platforms, especially allowing UNIX commands to be executing under Windows. If the install process complains about it then it is required and you have no workaround.
Semkaa
Participant

Post by Semkaa »

I have x86 family process and Windows64 that can handle 32bit applications! So if we follow the terms of formal logic DataStage can be installed on Win64.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Semkaa,

unfortunately it doesn't work that way; unless Ascential specifically states that it supports Win64 then it won't be supported and might not work; which is why you might be having the problems you are.

I did a quick check at Supported Versions and didn't find Windows Server 64 bit; but your installation CD should have that information in the readme.

So please look at your DataStage files, if Win64 isn't in there then you are SOL.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Semkaa wrote:I have x86 family process and Windows64 that can handle 32bit applications! So if we follow the terms of formal logic DataStage can be installed on Win64.
Where "formal logic" breaks down here is that DataStage engines make calls to system functions that may not exist in Win64. That's why we have to wait until DatStage is certified on a particular operating system before we can guarantee that things will work. If they do happen to work (for example on WinXP) where not certified, that's just a fortunate happenstance.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Emma123
Charter Member
Charter Member

Did anyone ever get this working?

Post by Emma123 »

Understood that this is not supported however did you get this working last year as we are having the same problem here.
Emma
muascdev
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by muascdev »

Hi,

Sorry to Hijack this post.......
I am getting the same error when I try to install DS Server on a 32 bit Windows 2003 machine..

Please help me!

Thank you!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Don't be sorry - don't hijack. Start your own thread and if you feel it helps, post a link back to this one. And when you do, post the error(s) you received, even if they are 'the same'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers