Date format conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amit Jaiswal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Date format conversion

Post by Amit Jaiswal »

Hi,
I am using sequential file as source with char datatype and dataset as target file. I want to convert date format from dd/mm/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy. I have tried using DateToString(StringToDate(Trim(myDate), "dd/mm/yyyy"), "mm/dd/yyyy") function but conversion is not proper. My understanding is that, for inner function it needs date format of input date and for outer function we have to give required date format. The output is '******'.
Then I have just tried with inside function by changing Project level and job level default date format to mm/dd/yyyy but output coming is yyyy-mm-dd. Please give me solution for this.
Thanks in advance.
-Amit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You've missed the "%" signs on the date format descriptors. Try

Code: Select all

DateToString(StringToDate(Trim(myDate), "%dd/%mm/%yyyy"), "%mm/%dd/%yyyy")
And, of course, for this to work your input column (myDate) must be a string.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Amit Jaiswal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amit Jaiswal »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry, it was typo while posting this question, I have used correct format only. But still I am getting '****' in the target. I am getting correct result if target datatype is varchar(10), but when I make it to date this problem occurs. Is it because I am trying to save string in date column? If it is the case what is the solution to get correct date format? Even I have tried to use Left function and concatenate it and store it but result is ok when I am storing it in varchar(10) and problem occurs with date type.
Please help.

-Amit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is the data type of column myDate in your example?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Amit Jaiswal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amit Jaiswal »

Hi Ray,
Data type of MyDate is date with width 10. This whole conversion works file if I change MyDate datatype to varchar(10).
Please clarify.
Thanks,
-Amit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Trim(myDate) is illegal when myDate has data type Date. Similarly, StringToDate() expects a string argument, not a date argument.
That's why I asked about data type.
The next recommendation was going to be to change the data type to string (VarChar or Char) to see if that worked. Obviously it does.
Amit Jaiswal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amit Jaiswal »

Hi Ray,
Trim(myDate) I used as from source this data is coming in char format. But in target I need only date data type. As you said I can't use DateToString() for date format then what is a solution to get required date format in Dataset file.
Thanks,
-Amit
divine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by divine »

Hi Amit,

Can you give your input. Like what is the format. For example do u get the input like 01-Jan-2005 or 01-01-2005 or what is the format and what should be your out put. Can you give example.
With Regards
Biswajit
pnchowdary
Participant

Post by pnchowdary »

Hi Amit,

You can use the following logic

Code: Select all

Ans = Arg1[4,2]:"/":Arg1[1,2]:"/":Arg1[7,4]
where Arg1 is the date in dd/mm/yyyy format

I always use this logic in my routine to convert date to US format (mm/dd/yyyy) and It works like a charm.

Thanks,
Naveen