Data Stage Director slow refresh

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Christina Lim
Participant

Data Stage Director slow refresh

Post by Christina Lim »

Hallo all,

I have around 15 developers for this project. Due to high density of job run on the data stage server, data stage director keep refreshing. Very frustrating each time i wanna see the logs, click other folders in datastage, or even key in values for job prompt. It takes me more than 15 minutes just to run a job with job prompt, simply because director keep refreshing every few seconds and each refresh takes at least 2 minutes. And to view d logs takes another 15 minutes ...

I wonder if there are anything that can be done to avoid this frustration of waiting due to director refresh ?

Thanx
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

You can configure the refresh interval of the Director Client.

Director -> Tools -> Options -> General Tab - Refresh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Also fewer jobs in the project. If you have thousands of jobs, consider splitting into two or three projects. Archive and remove any "practice" jobs that will never be used again.

Fewer simultaneously-connected developers would help, too.

Fewer simultaneously-running jobs would help, too.

Not using Log view until the job has finished is always a good idea. What you're doing is - every four seconds - interrupting the server with a "give me a status report" demand. You are an interactive user; the running job is a background process with lower priority, so you're hampering efficient running with these demands.

It's all a matter of total load on the server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.