Name Case Conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aolasoji_2
Participant

Name Case Conversion

Post by aolasoji_2 »

I am doing a data migration from a legacy application and I need a tool that will convert customer name from Upper case to Proper case in a Unix/AIX environment e.y O'RELLY => O'Reilly or MCCARTY to Mc'Carty.

Is there an Ascential tool that can do this for me.

Will appreciate your response.

Deji
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

aolasoji_2,

the DataStage Server has a function OCONV({YourString},'MCN') which will do exactly that. You do have the ability to use a DataStage BASIC transform stage in Px, but it will remove any speed advantages that the parallel paradigm normally has. So, if your data volumes are small enough then you can opt to go this route, otherwise it will have to be roll-your-own or external function calls for this type of name functionality.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Oconv() is not available in parallel jobs. However you have case conversion functions available in the Modify stage and the Transformer stage.
In your case, however, needing an "initial capitals" conversion, these choices are not easy (particularly O'Brien and the like). You can write your own expression or routine, or use a BASIC Transformer stage with the Oconv() function with "MCT" as its second argument.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.