FTP Stage in Enterprise Edition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

FTP Stage in Enterprise Edition

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ascential tech support provided the solution as follows:

-Make sure the ftp plug-in is installed in /Ascential/DataStage/Engine/bin.
-In DataStage Manager, Go to Tools menu > Register plug-in.
-Select the dsftpune.dll file in the path above, and click to check the checkbox for "Parallel stage type required."
-An additional properties panel will appear. Click OK.
-The new FTP plug-in should now appear under Stage Types.

This is surprisingly a very fast and simple solution to use Server plug-ins in parallel jobs. I'm not sure if this works for all plug-ins, but it's probably worth a try. The chart in the documentation makes sense to me now, since it says that the ftp stage is available in the parallel canvas, but actually runs in sequential mode only.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
benny.lbs
Participant

Post by benny.lbs »

Ray,

I can find the FTP Plug-in stage in the panel, so does it mean it is already registered ?

From the properties of the FTP Plug-in stage, the DLL name show as dsftp.so rather than dsftpune.dll. So do they the same Plug-in ?

I have tried to use that FTP Plug-in, but it will fail when processing a large number of rows.

Regards,
Benny
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

dsftp.so is on the server machine. It is the library supporting the plug-in stage itself.

dsftpune.dll ("une" = "United States English") supports the GUI - the client piece - of the FTP stage. It is on the client machine.

Are you finding it under Server or under Parallel?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
benny.lbs
Participant

Post by benny.lbs »

Yes, I am finding it in Server machine. And the plug-in stage exist in both server and parallel. As I remember, when I install the DS in server machine, I don't have specified any option about that.

Besides, I can't find the DLL file in my client machine. And when I go to Tools menu > Register plug-in > browse button, it show me the server machine, so how can I select DLL file from client machine ?
-Make sure the ftp plug-in is installed in /Ascential/DataStage/Engine/bin.
-In DataStage Manager, Go to Tools menu > Register plug-in.
-Select the dsftpune.dll file in the path above, and click to check the checkbox for "Parallel stage type required."
-An additional properties panel will appear. Click OK.
-The new FTP plug-in should now appear under Stage Types.
Where can I find the DLL file ? I can only find the similar file dsftp.dll in the installation disk under \DataStage v7.1\DataStage Packages\Plugin Stages\I386\FTP\I386\DStage

Thanks a lot.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

A couple of points from the original article on ADN:

1. This was for the 7.5x2 version.
2. On a Windows server.

Hence the confusion.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers