Implicit Coversion Warning Messages

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Daddy Doma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Implicit Coversion Warning Messages

Post by Daddy Doma »

Whats the best (most popular) way to avoid warning messages about implicit conversions and truncation?

I have a char(34) column that only contains values meaningful to me in the first nine positions. I want to bring the length of the field down to nine so I can join it with other fields and carry out lookups, etc.

I tried using Specification in a Modify Stage to handle the drop from 34 to nine by:

NewColumn:string=substring[1,9] (OldColumn)

No good. Values came through fine, but I still got a warning message in the Director Log about:

"When checking operator: When binding output interface field...Implicit conversion from source type "string[34]" to result type "string[9]": Source string will be truncated."

I know it is a trivial thing, but I like to avoid having to justify warning messages in the log if possible!
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

Warning messages can be avoided if the same derivation is used in the transformer stage.

Regards
Saravanan
Daddy Doma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Daddy Doma »

Thanks for that. I will give it a go.

But, I have heard that the Transformer stage is slower and more resource intensive than other options. Is this because it can accomplish in one stage what would otherwise require multiple individual specific stages?
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

Yes. It is true. Transformer is resource intensive. If parallel stages are used in a job, then the execution of the job is faster than using transformer stage.

I have no environment to try various options available in the modify stage otherwise i would try helping you to identify the problem.

Regards
Saravanan