XML Input

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srekant
Premium Member
Premium Member

XML Input

Post by srekant »

Hi,

what is the equivalent for folder stage in server to Parallel.I am trying to use XML Input to read data from xml file it is expecting an input link in server job there is report stage.What is the equivalent of it in parallel.How can i go about using XML input in parallel jobs.
Sree
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no parallel equivalent to the Folder stage (and, if there were, it would necessarily run sequentially). Similarly, there is no parallel equivalent to the XML Input, XML Output and XML Transformer stages.

You could construct your componentry in a server Shared Container, and incorporate that into your parallel job. But not that it will not - can not - operate in true parallel mode. See Parallel Job Developer's Guide (search for Incorporating Server Job Functionality) for information about the other limitations on this approach.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Simona
Participant

Post by Simona »

Ray,
Can you request the XML tools be implemented in coming Hawk release!
Since our group was quite disappointed with the PX limitation on XML processing when we were discussing on the XML usage. We tried to be a pure PX shop in all our project, please look into it. many Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I am a totally independent consultant, and have never been an employee of Ascential. I have no greater influence with the vendor than you do.

You can post an enhancement request here at DSXchange, or on Ascential Developer Net or through your support provider.

The "Hawk" release is far too advanced for last minute enhancements - it's already in beta testing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

This is from a posting from June 2005:
ray.wurlod wrote:There is no parallel equivalent to the Folder stage (and, if there were, it would necessarily run sequentially). Similarly, there is no parallel equivalent to the XML Input, XML Output and XML Transformer stages.

You could construct your componentry in a server Shared Container, and incorporate that into your parallel job. But not that it will not - can not - operate in true parallel mode. See Parallel Job Developer's Guide (search for Incorporating Server Job Functionality) for information about the other limitations on this approach.
Ray,

I have not worked with XML before, nor have I worked in a Server environment. We went from Torrent directly to DataStage PX. To borrow the term from another poster (in the same thread, viewtopic.php?t=93387), we have tried to be a pure PX shop.

Anyway, we have a new source that will be sending us XML files. Well, that shoots out our 'PX purist' intentions right out the door. My question is this: Can we use a server Shared Container to handle the XML Input read and then got directly to a PX stage where it can be repartitioned ASAP?

Container -> PX Sort (with hash partitioning on input) -> whatever...

I have not used containers before either. When created, can they be used like a stage where it has input and/or output streams?

I appreciate the info. Thanks!

Brad.