nullable fields in lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lory
Participant

nullable fields in lookup

Post by lory »

Hi,
In the lookup stage I have 4 options if the lookup is not found. The options are 1. Continue 2. Abort 3. Reject and 4. Drop.
If I use the first option and say to continue a null will be passed to the output....
The null values dipend on the column lookup format?
Because If the lookup column are not nullable and lookup not match I have an error in my job,
Why??
Thanks in advance
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Lory,

if the column is not nullable and the lookup is not successful the default value will be returned for each column. I am not at a terminal right now, but for char that is, I think, a project default of char(000) and varchar would come back with a length of 0
lory
Participant

Post by lory »

Thanks for reply.
And for number?
If the lookup field is nullable what does it happen?

Thanks! :)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It returns a 0.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the lookup field is nullable AND the output field is nullable (and the rule is "Continue"), then you will get null. You will need to handle this null further downstream in your job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.