Commit Frequency

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Atanu
Participant

Commit Frequency

Post by Atanu »

How to handle commit frequency in DataStage Parallel Jobs and where this property is to set in job. :?:
srekant
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srekant »

you can achieve it by environement variable $APT_ORAUPSERT_COMMIT_ROW_INTERVAL
Sree
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's the old way, but still works. Nowadays most stage types have a property called Commit Row Interval.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I'll be darned if I can find that property for the Oracle OCI stage in Px, though.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So how come you're not using the Oracle Enterprise stage?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ummm.. I was wrong, we are using it; and it doesn't :) (have a commit row interval)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I was wrong, too. It's the DB2 Enterprise stage, and only available when the Write Method property is "Write".
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

The variable is APT_RDBMS_COMMIT_ROWS. We usually set it to something divisible by 4096 (why? who know). Either 8192 or 16384 are common in our processes.
rishi
Participant

Commit Interval

Post by rishi »

If you want to do commit on Updates in DB2:
InDB2 Enterprise stage we can specify when to commit by using two parameters:
1) Time Commit Interval (2 seconds by default)
2) Row Commit Interval (2,000 by default. We can keep its value only in multiples of Array Size(default 2,000))
But what we found is that Row Commit Interval parameter is of no use as whatever value you give to Array Size parameter, commit happens on that. So let's say if Row Commit Interval=10,000 and Array Size=5,000 and the job aborts after updating 9,000 records instead of rolling back to 0 it rolls back to 5,000 (Array Size).

So one can keep Array Size and Time Commit Interval parameters. Commit will happen for lesser of the two parameter values.