Null handling

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kab123
Participant

Null handling

Post by kab123 »

Hello,

Does IsNullStr() and IsNull really have any difference..
I am anxious to know If IsNullStr() treates 10 bytes of spaces and a null and a blank equally as null..
If not, Is there anyother function or Transform that treats all the above scenarios as Null..bacause In my scenario I may get different format of files, and I feel for some reason The above function works sometimes and doesn't work sometimes...
Any advice !!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

kab123,

I know that the IsNull() function returns true for any string that contains an SQL null in it (this is, I think, a CHAR(128)). I haven't used the IsNullStr() function but will look at it - it is odd that one would have two identical functions...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

kab123,

umm... I feel inadequate... Just created a server job and tried IsNullStr('hello world') and it wouldn't compile, plus I couldn't find the function in the documentation, either... Could this be a user-written function at your site?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I thought IsNullStr comes from the PX side. :? If it's user written, then I would hope that someone there should be able to "fix" it so it always works as expected. At worst case, post the code.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I can understand the :? .
posting in the EE forum asking of PX and Server routines
and posting server in the job type.

Are you using a mix of server and PX jobs and experiancing differences in behaviour?

You might want to make the situation and the question more clear so people might answer a worthy response.

Till then I doubt you'll get anything out of this post.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org