Running Datastage EE on Windows

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Running Datastage EE on Windows

Post by talk2shaanc »

We have DataStage EE software, that we have installed on Windows XP for training purpose. The server and client both are on Windows XP. Now the problem is; I can create and compile a Job, but I cannot Run a job.
Its actually not compatible with the platform.

I did bit of research and found few information , which are now confusing me.

Code: Select all

I got this information from  Ascential Datastage Install and Upgrade Guide,

Enterprise Edition

Enterprise Edition is the version of DataStage that allows you to develop
parallel jobs. These run on DataStage UNIX servers that are SMP, MPP, or
cluster systems, but you can install it on an NT server in order to develop
jobs which can subsequently be run on a UNIX server.

From this I understand that, i can create and compile a job on Windows server. But in order to run the job I need to have a UNIX box. 

From one of the PDF found on the Ascential website, I have found below details

Ascential DataStage
Enterprise Edition
Windows 2000, Windows
2003 (coming soon).
IBM AIX
HP Compaq Tru64
HP HP-UX
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 
Sun Solaris
Now if we read both, they are contradictory.

Does that mean that now Ascential has developed a Datastage EE product which can, not only be created or compiled on Windows 2000 or 2003 Server but it can also be executed or run?

On the CD for which the Enterprise Edition license was given has Windows 2000/XP/2003 encrypted on it, its version 7.5. I suppose that means if Datastage EE can be executed/run on Windows 2000, then we can use the software and license that we are currently having.
Shantanu Choudhary
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

Sorry I missed out some of my other questions.

1. can I have my server on Windows? I think yes, as I am currently having it, But can I "RUN" parallel jobs on Windows?
2. If yes then which version? (Windows2000 or Windows NT or Windows2003)
Shantanu Choudhary
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You need to have the most recent version of DataStage, I think full Windows EE functionality came in 7.5.2, this will let you compile and run your jobs on Windows. I've got is running on Windows2000.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Hi,
According to Ascential, you must have 7.5x2 EE Windows version in order to run parallel jobs on Windows 2003. However, I also got it worked on both Windows 2000 sp4 and XP Pro platforms.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You will, of course, need a C++ compiler (such as Visual Studio C++) if you plan to use Transformer stages or BuildOps. But, hey, disk space is cheap!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

Hi, 
According to Ascential, you must have 7.5x2 EE Windows version in order to run parallel jobs on Windows 2003. However, I also got it worked on both Windows 2000 sp4 and XP Pro platforms. 
lstsaur , how did you do that ? how did you made it work on Windows XP pro?
Shantanu Choudhary
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

DataStage does seem to run on windows XP but it is not supported by Ascential. So if you have a problem you will not receive any support.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Hi,
Eric was right that Ascential only supports 7.5x2 EE Windows version on Windows 2003 platform. However, personally I was never impressed with Ascential's support. I always figure out the problems myself before I get a possible or a maybe solution from Ascential.

Try read the installation guide or readme.txt file before you install the product. Let me know if you have any problems to install it.

[quote="talk2shaanc"][code]Hi,
According to Ascential, you must have 7.5x2 EE Windows version in order to run parallel jobs on Windows 2003. However, I also got it worked on both Windows 2000 sp4 and XP Pro platforms. [/code]
lstsaur , how did you do that ? how did you made it work on Windows XP pro?[/quote]