Annotation Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ewartpm
Participant

Annotation Stage

Post by ewartpm »

Has anyone experienced this strange phenomenon...

Certain login id's can view annotations in designer. However, they cannot add additional annotations because the annotation stage in the pallete is greyed out. :?

Anyone know how to fix this :?:
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There are two types of annotations, a description annotations displays the job description field and you can only show one of these. A normal annotation can show any text and you can add many of these. My guess is that you are seeing the description annotation greyed out and you will find the normal annotation down in the favourites shortcut menu or you'll need to add it from the full list of stage types.

Go up to the stage types tree in your Designer repository and look in the Server folder to see if both Annotation stages appear.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Or maybe simply you need to toggle-on the Annotation stage.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

vmcburney wrote:There are two types of annotations, a description annotations displays the job description field and you can only show one of these.
I would think this is the issue. As Vince notes, once you add one of the 'Description Annotations' to your job it becomes greyed out on the menu as only one can be used in a job. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have seen that behaviour before (in version 7.1r1) with the regular Annotation stage also. There wasn't anything obvious to cause it, and there was a sense of urgency to get the developer developing again, so we re-installed the client software. So I can't suggest what may have caused it, but that did fix it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
BIuser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BIuser »

Hi,

This has just happened to me :? and though I hate to say it - I didn't change anything.

I am the only developer that is experiencing this problem. We are all running the same client version (7.5) and working on the same projects on the same server (HP-UX).

Both annotations are greyed out, not just the Description Annotation which would be understandable and has caught me out before. The strangest thing is that I can't even see annotations that I know are there (on a job) from my client/PC but everyone else has.

So far I've tried all manner of right, left and double-clicks to no avail as well as file menu's and the repository menu's in Designer.

Any ideas or do I really have to reinstall?

Many thanks
T.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, a reinstall of the client is pretty quick and painless. I'd suggest you give that a try first and then we can burn some braincells if that doesn't work.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
asorrell

Annotations grayed (greyed) out - resolved

Post by asorrell »

I just had this happen as well. It turns out someone borrowed my computer over the weekend and toggled Annotations off. When the client is set not to display annotations it won't let you add any annotations either.

The button looks like a capital "A" in the toolbar. If the button is depressed then annotations are on.

Andy
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
Abburi
Participant

Re: Annotations grayed (greyed) out - resolved

Post by Abburi »

asorrell wrote:I just had this happen as well. It turns out someone borrowed my computer over the weekend and toggled Annotations off. When the client is set not to display annotations it won't let you add any annotations either.

The button looks like a capital "A" in the toolbar. If the button is depressed then annotations are on.

Andy
Hi,

Yes, The button looks like a capital "A" in the toolbar might be off, make this button ON then one can use the annotations.