NLS_LANG

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akrzy
Participant

NLS_LANG

Post by akrzy »

Hi
I have problem to connect Oracle database.
I've created a simple job. I read data from sequential file and load into Ora DB.

During the processing I have errors:
"
main_program: The NLS map <ISO-8859-1> specified may not be compatible with the character map specified in NLS_LANG. You may get unexpected results from your database."

Can you tell me what means this message?

I use DS EE on Windows.

Thanks,
Anka
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

akrzy,

do you have a DBA that you can talk to? It is of paramount importance to understand the NLS settings on the DS side as well as on the Database side, and the NLS_LANG environment variable is very important in that.

Please look into the DataStage NLS Guide documentation; this will explain the settings and their implications.

The error message is quite explicit, you have different character set definitions in Oracle and in DataStage and although your single-byte characters will most certainly map you will have problems with the extended characters.[/b]
Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Hi,

After you'll find out the NLS your oracle uses, you can intoduce it to datastage either by adding it to the dsenv of as an env variable in the project level (if your on windows it's in the servers registry)

HTH,
Amos
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Hi Akrzy,
The following is the note from Ascential's installation guide:

2. Do not check the NLS install box. NLS is NOT supported with the 7.5x2 release of DataStage Enterprise Edition on Windows.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

If you have installed DataStage with NLS enabled, then you need to add the user defined variable NLS_LANG to your DataStage environment (set to the same character map as the Oracle database).

You can find the Oracle setting for NLS_LANG by running the SQL:

Code: Select all

Select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS