Pivot??

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Andet
Charter Member
Charter Member

Pivot??

Post by Andet »

I've got a table with duplicate keys, but different data values in a single data column.
For various reasons, I need to create a single record for each key, with the different data values for the single column concatinated in a single column(or multiple columns in a single row).

The server plugin called rowmerge will concatinate the fields in a row but for a whole file, and not by record key. I'm presently looping through a transformer, resetting the initial value each time I get a key change and concatinating the input value to a staging variable. This works, but I'm afraid it's too easy to break if another developer doesn't realize what it is doing.

Is there a more elegant solution that doesn't involve writing a plug-in?
A reverse version of the pivot plug-in would be what I am looking for. Or a better technique using the current enterprise(or server in a container) stages.

Thanks,

Ande
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do a search for "vertical pivot". It can be accomplished with an intermediate passive stage, even though this runs counter to the PX design metaphor of doing everything in memory.

You could also create a custom stage to perform a vertical pivot.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.