check that 'dbx' and 'sed' are installed and on your PATH

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

inadeau
Participant

check that 'dbx' and 'sed' are installed and on your PATH

Post by inadeau »

Hi,

I'm trying to write to fixed length sequential flat file. I'm doing a concatenation (using operator : ) of many stage variables into one field of 485 chars. I'm handling all NULL fields with NullToEmpty function. I set the file format as follow : Record Delimiter = UNIX newline, Record length=485, Field Delimiter=end.

Here are the error messages I get on execution :

xfmProvType,0: Failure during execution of operator logic

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Internal Error: (span): string/basicstring.C: 881
Traceback: Could not obtain stack trace; check that 'dbx' and 'sed' are installed and on your PATH

Any clue of what the problem is ? Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks in advance !

Isabel
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

The later part of the message suggests that the PATH environment variable (which is set up in the dsenv file) does not include the directory in which either or both of sed or dbx commands is found.

This is the first thing you need to check.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
inadeau
Participant

Post by inadeau »

Thanks for the Welcome :) !

I found the sed command and it is in the path. I could not find the dbx command on the unix box. Can you tell me where to look at please ?

Isabelle
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

You found a bug!

*fanfare*

No, not your bug. DataStage's BUG!

Report this to Ascential Support at your earliest convenience. In the meantime...

Instead of concentating data, just do this:

1. Transformer Stage before the Sequential Stage -- Convert all fields to Char(specific length). Do the necessary Trim(), Left(), Right(), Space(), and all the fun stuff to ensure that each field will be precisely formatted.

NullToEmpty won't work in this case. Do If IsNull() Then Space(length) Else [format field].

On Sequential Stage, record length = fixed. Skip the Record Length option.

That is the best method I could come up with that will consistently produce the correct result for fixed length flat file output.

BTW -- APT_CombinedOperatorController - Use $APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION (turn it on) to determine which stage is throwing that error.

And seriously, report this to Ascential Support. Extract the job to a DSX, and report precise version number of your DataStage, and so on forth. This will help Ascential ensure that this bug will be fixed (if it haven't already been fixed.)
pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pxr87 »

Did Datastage fix this problem in its latest EE version ?. I am also getting this problem when comparing values using compare stage.
( from single column from single column data from a transformer and aggregate stage.)
I see sed in /usr/bin in AIX 5.3, but couldn't find dbx in /usr/bin in the machine I am working . but I see dbx in another unix machine in /usr/bin. so I asked my unix admin. look at this one. Still I want to know whether datastage fixed this problem or not.

---
[quote="T42"]You found a bug!

*fanfare*

No, not your bug. DataStage's BUG!

Report this to Ascential Support at your earliest convenience. In the meantime...

Instead of concentating data, just do this:

1. Transformer Stage before the Sequential Stage -- Convert all fields to Char(specific length). Do the necessary Trim(), Left(), Right(), Space(), and all the fun stuff to ensure that each field will be precisely formatted.

NullToEmpty won't work in this case. Do If IsNull() Then Space(length) Else [format field].

On Sequential Stage, record length = fixed. Skip the Record Length option.

That is the best method I could come up with that will consistently produce the correct result for fixed length flat file output.

BTW -- APT_CombinedOperatorController - Use $APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION (turn it on) to determine which stage is throwing that error.

And seriously, report this to Ascential Support. Extract the job to a DSX, and report precise version number of your DataStage, and so on forth. This will help Ascential ensure that this bug will be fixed (if it haven't already been fixed.)[/quote]