DataStage and SUSE Linux?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kpetzold
Participant

DataStage and SUSE Linux?

Post by kpetzold »

Hi all,

just one short question because I couldn't find an answer in the Internet: Is the Ascential Software certified for SUSE - Linux? All I've heard about is that Ascential is supporting RedHat - but SUSE? Does anybody knows anything about that?

Thanks in advance!

K.P.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

There is some support for SUSE but only on the latest versions. You should check with Ascential first if your thinking of upgrading.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

K.P.

The is a big difference for Ascentail between having a version running on an OS implementation and actually supporting it.

It is amazing how in some internal source code more than 50% of the code is stuck between $IFDEF clauses that depend upon both the hardware platform and Version that is being compiled. So even though, in theory, different implementations of LINUX are very close, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty important details they don't match. This is especially true for things such semaphore/queue handling and interrupt processing.

In conclusion you will most likely get an implementation to run on Suse [assuming you have a valid license key] but it is highly unlikely that Ascential will come out with official support unless there is a big business case looming under the horizon.

Posing this question on ADN will hopefully elicit an official Ascential response.
nrevezzo
Participant

Post by nrevezzo »

There is a version of DataStage EE scheduled for GA release on 3/31/05 that supports Suse Linux Enterprise(SLES) v9.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

NRevezzo - I stand corrected, thanks for the info! I much prefer the Suse implementation anyway.