Extension of Dataset Name/Fileset Name

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

grb_garre
Participant

Extension of Dataset Name/Fileset Name

Post by grb_garre »

Is it mandatory to use the Dataset Name with .ds and fileset name with the .fs ?

Its working fine if i use the dataset with other extensions also ,but still got a question is there any impact ?

Anybody can share the ideas please ....

Thx
Raj
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

It is a best practice to identify the type than a mandatory requirement. You can consider it something like '.txt' representing a text file and '.csv' a comma separated values.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

In Version 6.x, it was required, at least up to 6.0.2.

In Version 7.x, it is not required.

Suggestion:

Why don't you just try it yourself instead of asking us? Create a Dataset file without the .ds extension. If it doesn't do what you expect, and you don't know why, THAT is when you ask us.

:)
grb_garre
Participant

Post by grb_garre »

Hi user T42 ,

You haven't read the my posting clearly.,in that i l have mentioned i already tried and its working fine , i wanted to know about the background is there any more impact ????

Thanks
Raj

T42 wrote:In Version 6.x, it was required, at least up to 6.0.2.

In Version 7.x, it is not required.

Suggestion:

Why don't you just try it yourself instead of asking us? Create a Dataset file without the .ds extension. If it doesn't do what you expect, and you don't know why, THAT is when you ask us.

:)
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

If it works fine...

Then it works fine.