automatic job design

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jasper
Participant

automatic job design

Post by jasper »

when starting with a new part in a dwh there's always some new jobs that are very simple, like copying tables from one DB to another, creating simple dimensions etc.
For these we have some templates, but then still I find there's a lot of dumb effort, for filling out tablenames, colums and so on. For this I would try to write some procedure where you give some info and that then writes the jobs for you.
For this we would need some kind of commandline interface to the DS-designer. Is there anything available?
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Use Migration Assistant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: automatic job design

Post by chulett »

jasper wrote:For this we would need some kind of commandline interface to the DS-designer. Is there anything available?
In other words, no, not really. :wink:

I know people that have done what you are contemplating, but it takes a very in depth knowledge of the structures of DataStage jobs and the target is usually an 'export' file in xml format. Once generated, you simply import it and you have your job(s).
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jasper
Participant

Post by jasper »

thanx,
after the hint from Sainath.Srinivasan I checked this and this is only a part of what I mean. as mentioned somewhere in this forum own creation of inteligent assistants is actually what I would need.
I'll see how far I can get with editing xml-files.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
you could have templates, jobs or containers with partial implementation as your starting point.

otherwise open a startup company for auto DS design.

who knows I might need to cash a dividend on this tip one day ;)

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
crouse
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by crouse »

Jasper,

As chulett points out, it's doable but requires quite a bit of knowledge, and patience, in working with DataStage files.

I have a service/product that does what you are asking. If you are interested, we can converse off-line via email.

Send me a note if interested (email address in signature).

-Craig
Craig Rouse
Griffin Resouces, Inc
www.griffinresources.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's quite easy to create your own template job; add all needed parameters and all needed stage types, but omit the column definitions.
Then make a template from this ("new template from job").

The template is stored with your DataStage client software, in a Templates folder, so you may need to distribute it to other developers.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.