Uses of Copy and Modify over Transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

NewPXUser
Participant

Uses of Copy and Modify over Transformer

Post by NewPXUser »

Most of the features of copy, modify (and some of filter) stages can be performed using transform stage. Can someone suggest me when do we use the copy or modify stage instead of tranformer.

I scanned through the answers and found replies mentioning implicit or explicit transformations. Can someone give an example and show how.
dsxuserrio
Participant

Post by dsxuserrio »

Hi
Modify can be especially very useful in null handling.
Most other functionalities can be easily done using transformer.
If you use a copy stage to make copies, it makes more meaning to the others who see your jobs.

PS:
Modify and copy operators were indispensible in Orchetsrate scripts.

Thanks
dsxuserrio

Kannan.N
Bangalore,INDIA
NewPXUser
Participant

Post by NewPXUser »

Thanks for the information.

Is it possible to get hold of any Orchestrate documentation so to gain some insight and understanding of its working. Even though I have good experience with C/C++, it is difficult to follow the flow of the internal files, configurations, working mechanism, methodology etc.

For e.g., why you need to mention a copy when the transform with multiple link does exactly that and under what cases does reject links get activated
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

At this point (7.1r2+) the transformer performs way better than Modify and other stages that it copies due to its compiled code (instead of intepreted code.)

However, Copy stage is an excellent stage that should be used when you need to split streams, drop fields, or rename fields. You can't copy fields, though.