How to read &PH& on UNIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to read &PH& on UNIX

Post by Marley777 »

Hi, I have an error, but the log doesn't point out what the error is. Actually I don't get a fatal message at all, the job simply aborts. The job is a sequence job. I'm wondering if the phantom dir will provide more info. I can get drill down to the PH directory, but don't know what to do or how to access once I'm there.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you reset the job (not recompile, reset), any diagnostic information in &PH& should be transferred to the job log, in an event called "From previous run...".

Otherwise, &PH& is a directory within the project on the server. The file will have a name made up of the program name (DSD.RUN or DSD.StageRun for server jobs) followed by the pid, date and time in DataStage internal format.

Files that are only two lines long don't contain any useful information (the events are "started" and "finished" - while that's reassuring to know, it's not that helpful in diagnosis). So look for larger files.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsxuserrio
Participant

Post by dsxuserrio »

Stone
Did you check the logs for the individual jobs . The fatal error may be in there. Sort the jobs by start time and look for the first aborted job.
Thanks
dsxuserrio

Kannan.N
Bangalore,INDIA
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Do a "ls -altr" to order the file listing, listing the most recent edited file last. That way, you can pinpoint the potential files that was created by your job. Look at the timestamp for the file and the timestamp of the job's run.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

"Otherwise, &PH& is a directory within the project on the server. The file will have a name made up of the program name (DSD.RUN or DSD.StageRun for server jobs) followed by the pid, date and time in DataStage internal format.
"
How about parallel jobs?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, parallel jobs too.

DSD.RUN is a generic "job starting" routine that also appears for parallel jobs.

Beware that ampersand is a special character for the shell. You need to escape or hard quote. For example:

Code: Select all

cd MyProject
ls -alrt '&PH&

Code: Select all

cd MyProject
ls -alrt \&PH\
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.