warnings...is it ok to ignore them?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Jay
Participant

warnings...is it ok to ignore them?

Post by Jay »

Hi All,

I am getting similar warnings in all the 4 PX jobs i am developing.

Source table has EMPLOYEE_NBR in Numeric(8,0).

compareEmployeeTables: When checking operator: On input data set 0: When binding input interface field "EMPLOYEE_NBR" to field "EMPLOYEE_NBR": Implicit conversion from source type "int32" to result type "decimal[8,0]": Possible range limitation

Is there anyway to overcome these warnings ?

Is it ok to ignore such warnings, since the jobs run fine ?

Thanks
Jay
Jay
Participant

Post by Jay »

Database is Oracle 8.1.7.4.0

I read somewhere in this forum that its how Oracle organises its data and there is some problem for Datastage to read them.
Jay
Participant

Post by Jay »

Staging Oracle DB = Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0

Target Oracle DB = Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.0

Is this a problem ?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Jay,

no, DS does not have a problem using the 2 versions of Ora, the development is quite transparent to that.
memrinal
Participant

Post by memrinal »

So will it be okay to ignore such warnings
Mrinal Kumar

Even the IMPOSSIBLE says "I M Possible"
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Memrinal - In my opinion it is not OK to ignore these warnings. I would prefer to do a cast or conversion to the data type that the job expects to avoid the warnings and accept the performance hit that this might entail.

I do this for future maintenance - if I now get into the "ignore warnings" mode for a job I will ignore any warnings in the future and would most certainly miss any new warnings that might occur, which could be really serious ones.
battaliou
Participant

Post by battaliou »

Your job will run ok, but this is not best practice in EE as you should specifically define type conversions. I think you will find a slight gain in performance on your job too.
3NF: Every non-key attribute must provide a fact about the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key. So help me Codd.
memrinal
Participant

Post by memrinal »

Thanks Arndw and battaliou,
The point about future maintainace is very valid and one must take care.
Mrinal Kumar

Even the IMPOSSIBLE says "I M Possible"
Jay
Participant

Post by Jay »

Thanks all....i tried everything and am still getting the warnings...so me and my teammates are deciding to ignore the warnings for the time being...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A 32-bit integer (int32) can not fit into a Decimal(8,0) column. These integers can have up to 10 digits - the largest integer is 2147483647.

That's why DataStage issues you with a warning. What you're trying to do may have catastrophic consequences for large enough integers (such as a segmentation violation).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Do a "StringToDecimal(Right(field, 8))" within a transformer stage if you must squeeze it within the Number[8,0] field.

Yes, StringToDecimal. Within DataStage EE, Integer is interchangeable with String. Decimal is not.

To date, I have been able to eliminate ALL BUT ONE WARNING MESSAGE for my jobs. The one warning message? A Remote DB2 warning message that I am still trying to plug in.

Yes, I even fixed the partition warnings. And the column propagation warnings. There is absolutely no reason why you can not do what I did. It is simply good development practice.