What does "could not create operator sync table" m

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cbres00
Participant

What does "could not create operator sync table" m

Post by cbres00 »

I'm trying to move data from Teradata (Teradata Enterprise Stage) to a MS SQL table (DRS stage). I get the following:

main_program: Fatal Error: APT_TeraSync: could not create operator sync table.

I have all the logins and passwords correct. :)

Regards,
CB
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

There are a number of usual suspects for this one.

Is the diskspace full?

Do you have access to the node that Teradata is running?

Have you ever successfully ran Teradata?

What are the warning messages you have in that log?
cbres00
Participant

Post by cbres00 »

Yes, I have access to TD.
Disk space....now that may be an issue.

I'll look into that.

Thanks,
CB
joeyfan
Participant

Post by joeyfan »

If this is still an issue, it likely means that the Teradata user id identified in the Teradata stage does not have the ability to create and administer data in the TeraSync table, or that the database it is trying to create the TeraSync table in does not have any perm or enough perm space to contain the table.

If you do not have a WORKDB env variable set, DataStage tries to create the TeraSync table from the Teradata user id's perm. At our shop users do not get perm space so we used the WORKDB env variable to direct DataStage to create the TeraSync table in a database that owns perm. Then we had to explicitly grant the Teradata user id rights to create/drop tables and insert, select, delete and update data in that database. That solved the problem.

Adam
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

An EXCELLENT first post!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mchaves
Participant

Just adding further info to this post...

Post by mchaves »

This is what ascential says about this issue:

Enhancement request is tracked under 87666. considered not writable from Teradata Enterprise stage

NCR Team response is that if the following query returns no rows, then the table is considered not writable from Teradata Enterprise stage point of view:

Quote:

select * from dbc.userrights where databasename = 'dbname'
and (tablename = 'xxxxxx' or tablename = 'all') and accessright = 'I'

Which means if you grant privileges on the database level or grant roles insert rights, and then assign a particular id that role, it is not good enough.

The suggested workaround is to grant insert access directly to the userid, or to grant insert access to all tables in the database using the ALL keyword.
swades
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by swades »

Hi All,
I Have same kind of error.
I check i can create/drop table in that DB-Teradata.
and if i create server job its running fine.
so tell me whats solution for this.?
Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

No hijacking of other posts. You should start a new post and give a reference to this post. Btw, the solution is giving by two posters here, did you try that ?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
pathmaker
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pathmaker »

as explained you need to have previlages to create terasync table on the database where you have your table that you are reading/writing

teradata ent uses this table to log the sql commands that it is using aganist the table that you are reading/writing and terasync table that you created.

if yo specify APT_TERA_SYNC_DATABASE env variable at job level or project level [search for that string in this form you might find lot of posts] teradata ent stage will create terasync table in that database by any chance if your id that you are using on teredata ent stage doesnt have permissions to create table , delete , insert , update permissions on that database where you are creating terasync table your operation will fail.

now coming to the follwing error , contact IBM to get a patch. datastage used to check the permissions they are not doing it anymore better you get the patch
select * from dbc.userrights where databasename = 'dbname'
and (tablename = 'xxxxxx' or tablename = 'all') and accessright = 'I'
Thanks & Regards
Pratap Bhimireddy